Monday, November 16, 2009

On helping others...

One of things that gives me a high is being able to make a difference to another human being. Over the years I would like to believe that while I have been able to help a few folks along the way and I have been fortunate enough to meet people who have made a difference in my own evolution.

Among other things, I would like to use this blog as a vehicle to share my own experiences and also stay in touch with the many professionals that I have had the privilege of working with and where possible capture our interactions for the benefit of the larger community.

Based on my personal experience, here are some thoughts on the subject of helping.
1. Helping only works if someone explicitly asks for help. Non-solicited advise can easily fill a few trucks but will not result in an ounce of action.
2. The act of helping does not place the person helping out in any higher platform. The act of giving is a responsibility and the one who gives also receeives.
3. I do not have expectations from the person whom I help, the process and the interactions itself are reward enough for me.
4. It is easy to to suggest what is to be done but actually executing it is what makes the BIG difference. Execution is everything, I use the example of the advise on losing weight (eat lesser burn more calories--but it is so much easier said than done!)

To meet the above objectives I would like to use this blog to periodically share my personal experiences, dilemmas, failures and learnings. If some readers start newer threads that will even better!!

Before I start, I must warn you that this whole blogging experience will test my own persistence and will also be driven by your feedback and a periodic nudging.

--looking forward to hearing from all of you!

Shekhar

PS: I did fleetingly think of writing under a pseudonym, but quickly decided that I am what I am and I do not need another avatar!

No comments:

Post a Comment